Saturday, August 15, 2009

What I Am Seeing...


"We must form as clear a notion as possible of what we expect to see. Then it will actually appear..." - William James
.
..I have been "seeing" this view since early Spring this year. Working on new book, "FIRST CREATION" for the Highlands-Cashiers Land Trust to celebrate their Centennial Anniversary of helping to preserve special places here on the Highlands Plateau of Western North Carolina. The Land Trust has shown me some views I have never seen in all my years photographing this amazing place!

This view from Rhododendron Park, (in which the HCLT has preservation rights) was assigned to me, one of 4 on the park loop drive. As this view is somewhat iconic, very recognizable, my challenge was to capture it in a different way/angle. I have been back to this location probably a dozen times since, always seeking best light, and most effective time of season. On this particular day the fresh mountain rhododendrons were beginning to blossom so I attempted to create an angle that showcased them as much in the foreground as the spectacular Whiteside Mountain in the background.

I am still "seeing" this view in my mind's eye, which means I'll be visiting it every month until I go full circle, returning again until early next Spring, both @ dawn and dusk, when the light is often singing - just waiting for an audience to impress. And I am an audience of one awaiting others to see what I have captured. But it is not mine, regardless of a copyright symbol neatly tacked onto the picture. How vain to believe this view is mine! But it is what I am seeing...

No comments:

Post a Comment